- Fresh content: White papers and… renovating a bathroom?!
- Quick tip: Move up your executive summary
- Tools of the trade: White Paper Mastery 2022—limited-time enrollment
- The White Paper Review: New show launched on YouTube
- Just for fun: What writer-sign are you?
Have you ever renovated a bathroom?
I’m not talking about a new shower curtain… I’m talking about a total rip-and-replace.
I’m in the middle of a reno like that. And I’m starting to see how renovating a bathroom is a lot like doing a white paper.
Quick Tip: Move up your Executive Summary
We all know the proper page order for a white paper, right?
- The cover that attracts attention with a graphic and catchy title
- The Contents that show at a glance what’s inside
- The all-important Executive Summary that sums up the main ideas
I believe the Executive Summary is the most important page of any white paper. That single page saves your busy prospects a ton of time. How?
- Gives them all the key ideas in the paper
- Helps them decide whether to read on, forward the paper to someone else, or move on to something else
But wait a minute? If the Executive Summary is soooo important, why stick it on page 3? Why not promote it to page 2?
Whenever I move it up, I feel that flow suits any busy reader:
- The cover > catches their eye
- The Executive Summary > gives the main ideas in brief
- Table of Contents > shows the outline to explore further
I haven’t seen any data on this, but it feels right to me.
Why not “move it up” on your next white paper and see how it feels? And if you can gather some data, please share it with the rest of us.
Want to know more about white papers than 98% of the writers out there?
Here’s your chance to be mentored by me, That White Paper Guy.
The White Paper Mastery & Certification program from AWAI gives you:
- 12 hours of live sessions with me
- A real-world white paper to work on
- Personal feedback on your efforts
- A swipe file of 15 white papers I wrote
- Checklists and worksheets I use with my own clients
- My best tips and advice on how to find clients
I haven’t taught this program for two years, and I’m not sure when I’ll do it again. So please don’t miss your chance to learn directly from me.
Registration ends Friday, February 25 at midnight Eastern… don’t miss the enrollment window.
I’ve teamed up with my good buddy Brian Boys to start a YouTube series where we analyze white papers good and bad.
It’s all in good fun, to share a few things we’ve learned about these challenging projects.
The first episode just dropped, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niMUrJFCJI
If you like the show, remember to subscribe. Then we can tell you when the next episode’s up.
Just for fun: What writer-sign are you?
Here’s a fun article from Grammarly where you look up your Zodiac sign to see what kind of writer that makes you.
And you know, it totally works for me!
Listen to this: As a Gemini, my natural curiosity and analytical skills make me “an ace at writing research reports.”
And what is a white paper, if not a research report?
Check it out, does it work for you?
That’s all for this time
If you liked this e-newsletter, please forward it to a colleague who’s interested in white papers.
And you can send any questions you have about white papers to Gordon AT thatwhitepaperguy.com… I’ll do my best to answer, maybe in my next article!
Have a great month,
That White Paper Guy